Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 5 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, Pressed
- 2 small onions, Chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, Sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- noodles, Hot Buttered
- Dredge pot-roast in flour; brown all sides in cooking oil in Dutch oven.
- Slip rack under meat; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add water, garlic, onion, tomato sauce, bay leaf and thyme.
- Cover and cook in slow oven (325 degrees F.) 3 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Cook sliced mushrooms in butter in small frying-pan until tender and golden.
- When meat is tender, remove to cutting board.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Thicken cooking liquid with 2 T flour combined with 1/4 c water, if desired.
- Add mushrooms and sour cream to cooking liquid; cook over moderate heat but do not allow to boil.
- Slice beef; serve with hot buttered noodles sprinkled with paprika.
- Pass our cream sauce separately.
I guess we're okay to review Zaar recipes. Anyway, here goes! I can't believe no one has given this recipe a try. It's fantastic in ease of preparation and the end result is a tender, tasty, yummie-good cut of beef! I followed the directions right down the line and cooked it in a hard anodized aluminum dutch oven. Came out perfect. You guys don't know what you're missin if you don't cook and serve this for your next meal! Definitely a 5-Star Winner! Laudee C.
This is a delicious pot roast. I'm making it for a 2nd time because of popular request from my boys.
A great alternative to your standard pot roast.