Recipe by Melvin'sWifey
This is the cheapest way to make croutons out there! I keep a couple of bags of cheap hot dog buns in my freezer so when I am in need of croutons, I take a few out, and viola! I have great croutons that completely exceed storebought! Note: Hot dog buns do not need to be thawed first, you can take them straight from the freezer. I've found it's even easier this way! Oh and take it from me, you will want to double your recipe.... One for the salad or soup you need these for, and one to keep on hand for snacking!
- 4 hot dog buns
- 6 tablespoons butter (margarine works fine too)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as tabasco, cholula, etc)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Put butter or margarine in a medium/large microwavable bowl.
- Add seasoning salt, garlic salt, and pepper into the bowl with butter, and microwave until melted, about 30-45 seconds.
- Stir well, add olive oil and hot sauce, and stir well again. (Let sit at room temp while you do next step).
- Cut up 4 hot dog buns into squares. Dump all cut up bread at once (not little by little) into bowl with butter/spice mix. Stir well with a spoon until all pieces are coated.
- Line cookie sheet with foil and dump out coated pieces onto foil.
- At 450 degrees, bake croutons for 8 minutes. Remove and flip/stir. Bake another 4-5 minutes, watching very closely, as they brown fast.
- These should be hard but light and crispy/airy once you eat it. These will melt in your mouth!