This is a blend of aspects I liked from multiple recipes I tried. It's absolutely delish and melts in your mouth.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup flour (for dredging)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 ounces prosciutto or 4 ounces pancetta
- 1 medium yellow sweet onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces fresh baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet marsala wine or 1⁄2 cup cream sherry
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Put breasts on cutting board, lay plastic wrap over and pound until 1/4 inch thick.
- Put flour, salt & pepper in shallow dish; mix.
- Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet. When oil is hot, dredge both sides of chicken in flour mix, shaking off excess. Put in pan and fry for 5 minutes each side until golden. Remove chicken to plate.
- Lower heat and add prosciutto/pancetta to drippings left in pan, sauté for 1 minute.
- Add onion and garlic, sauté 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until nicely browned, about 5 minutes. Add pepper to taste.
- Pour Marsala/sherry in pan and boil for a few seconds to evaporate alcohol. Add chicken stock and simmer for 1-2 minutes to reduce sauce.
- Stir in butter and cream, return chicken to pan, simmer for 1 minute to reheat chicken.
- Serve over your choice of mashed potatoes or pasta.