Recipe by CulinaryQueen
Got this from my cousin-in-law Doreen. The chicken cooks for 2 1/2 hours and comes out so moist. There will be plenty of juice from the meat to make a gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite veggie. Great weekend meal for those upcoming cold evenings. Cooking time includes the 20 minute sitting time in step 11.
- 1 large whole chicken
- 1 -2 teaspoon parsley
- 1 -2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 lemon, wedged
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180C/350Â°F
- Line a 9" X 13" glass baking dish with a very large piece of foil, big enough to wrap up the chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix the parsley, thyme and rosemary.
- Rinse the chicken and pat the outside dry with paper(kitchen)towels. Place in the lined baking dish.
- Squeeze the juice from the wedged lemon inside the chicken and then put the lemon wedges inside the chicken. Sprinkle the inside of the chicken with 1/3 of the herbs and salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon slices on the chicken and lay the slices on top of it. Dot with butter.
- Sprinkle with the remaining herbs, the paprika, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the sliced onion around the chicken.
- Fold up the sides of the foil on the chicken and roll up the foil like a parcel.
- Place in the preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours. Do not open the oven until the time is up.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let sit for about 15-20 minutes before opening the foil.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. You can then use the juice in the pan to make a gravy.