Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
In '300 Sensational Soups' by Carla Snyder & Meredith Deeds
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 lb kielbasa, cut into thin half-moons
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups white corn kernels (fresh or frozen or thawed)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- fresh thyme leave
- In a large heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add sausage, leeks, garlic, and red pepper; saute until vegetables are softened and sausage is browned, about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and thyme; saute for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in stock.
- Add lima beans, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Decrease heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lima beans are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add cream-style corn and corn kernels; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Reheat until steaming, stirring often; do not let boil.
- Ladle into heated bowls and garnish each with a few thyme leaves.
i love succotash and not had any in so long, now i'm happy to have this recipe, and add it to my cookbook