1/1 Photo of Succotash Chowder
I originally clipped this recipe from a Woman's Day magazine years ago. It is very soothing and comforting - just the thing on a chilly, drizzly day. If you don't care for creamed corn, you may use 1 1/2 cups corn kernels instead. You may choose to peel your potatoes,if you prefer, however I do not. I have tried this with several different types of potatoes and you want something that will soften up enough in the soup; red skinned potatoes work nicely. I have tried Yukon Golds in this and they just don't soften up soon enough, so I would say precook them before adding to the soup if that is your potato of choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 2 1/2 cups red potatoes, diced, raw
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk or 3 cups evaporated milk, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 1Melt butter in a large stockpot.
- 2Add potatoes, celery,and onions, and stir to coat with the butter.
- 3Cover and cook on medium heat for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Meanwhile, whisk together 1 cup of the milk with the flour; add to the pot.
- 5Add remaining milk, chicken broth, lima beans, and seasonings.
- 6Bring soup to just a boil (be careful not to burn milk), then immediately reduce heat to low and allow to simmer about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add corn and ham; simmer until vegetables are very tender, another 10 minutes or so (depending upon how small or large you chopped your vegetables).
- 8Taste and adjust seasonings as needed before serving.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Succotash Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.9
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 43.3 mg
- Sodium 609.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 17.7 g