Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
The original sweet onion sauce posted here is fabulous, but has way too many calories for my taste. I've pared it down a lot by using Splenda and cornstarch.
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vidalia onion (finely minced)
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- 2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Microwave on high for a minute and a half, stirring every thirty seconds.
- Makes about 2/3 cup.
This was really good. Thinner than Subways and much darker in color but tasted great considering the calorie/fat content. I will substitue the balsamic vinegar for red wine vinegar next time I make it and perhaps it might reduce the vinegar taste somewhat.I am also going to try some other recipes on this website for this sauce and substitute the new low calorie Karo syrup which might make a thicker sauce while reducing calories.