Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
At most Subway locations you'll get shredded iceburg lettuce. but if iceburg isn't the only lettuce you will eat, a nice leaf lettuce that you have julienned or cut into shreds. Subways uses Light mayonnaise in their chicken salad.
- 2 cups red apples, chopped small
- 1⁄3 cup celery, diced small
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into small cubes
- 1 -2 tablespoon golden raisin
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (use more or less to suit your taste)
- salt and pepper
- squeeze lemon juice
- lettuce, shredded
- 6 inches whole wheat sub rolls
Optional veggie toppings of your choice
- 3 -6 tomatoes, slices (depending on size of tomato)
- 2 -3 red onion rings
- 6 -8 pickles, slices
- 2 cheese, sliced of your choice
- In a medium bowl toss chopped apples with squeeze of lemon juice.
- Add celery, raisins, cranberries and chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix. Fold in mayonnaise.
- Split a whole wheat sub roll horizonally without cutting all the way through the roll. Add about 1/3-1/2 cup shredded lettuce. Add veggies of choice, and finish with desire amount of chicken salad. You will have enough chicken salad for two 6 inch subs.
Oh boy, this was a hit! I added chopped green onions to the mix rather than adding onions later, otherwise followed exactly. Made for Think Pink Tag, October 2011.
Very good Timothy. I followed the recipe exactly and it was perfectly seasoned. A little salty, a little sour and lots of crunch. So good. Will make this often. Thank you.