Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A quick way to blend a reasonable substitute for Mirin in Japanese sauces and dishes.
Make and share this Substitute Japanese Hon-Mirin (Sweet Rice Wine) recipe from Food.com.
- Mix sugar and water and bring to a slight boil for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add Sake to the mixture a small bit at a time until the desired sweetness is achieved.
- True Hon-Mirin is very expensive and difficult to obtain outside of Japan.
- While this shortcut does not have the full flavor and complexity of a true Hon-Mirin, it is an adequate substitute when used as a sweetener in certian Japanese sauces such as teriyaki.