1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 10 mins
My dad and mom quite enjoy this lentil curry. They have it on some steaming hot white Basmati rice(long-grain variety) and a little low-fat plain yogurt on the side. This combo is a filling lunch. Instead of using whole green lentils, you can also try this curry using split green lentils(in that case we call the curry as, believe it or not, "Sai Dal"! LOL;)! I'll be making this ALOT in USA.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium green chili, washed,ends trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (Use a little less than 1/2 tsp.)
- 4 sprigs of fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- 1/4 cup water (this is added for cooking the tomatoes)
- 2 cups water (to boil whole green moong dal)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water (to make gravy for the lentils this is added at the end)
- 1 1/2 cups whole green lentils, cleaned,washed,soaked in water for 30 minutes and drained (whole green moong dal)
- 1Put the drained green lentils alongwith 2 cups of water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- 2Lower flame to medium, cover and allow the lentils to continue to cook until tender.
- 3This will take about 30 minutes.
- 4Do not throw out this water in which you have cooked the lentils.
- 5Now, with the back of a large mixing spoon, mash the lentils.
- 6Keep aside.
- 7Heat oil in a large pan on medium flame.
- 8Once it's hot, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- 9Once they start spluttering, add cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
- 10Once they start crackling, add curry leaves and stir-fry for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- 11Then, toss in the chopped ginger,garlic,onions and green chilli.
- 12Mix well and continue to stir-fry until the masala becomes very dry.
- 13Add turmeric powder, corriander powder and red chilli powder.
- 14Mix well and continue to stir-fry for another 3 minutes.
- 15Fold in the chopped tomatoes alongwith 1/4 cup of water.
- 16This water is to be added to cook the tomatoes.
- 17Mix well and cook on medium flame until the tomatoes become really soft and mushy.
- 18Add salt and mix well.
- 19Add the lentil-water mixture to this pot containing the prepared masala mixture.
- 20Mix well.
- 21Stir in 1 1/4 cups of water (so that you obtain the correct consistency of this lentil curry).
- 22Remove from heat.
- 23Serve hot with rotis (Indian flatbreads) or bread or cooked long-grain Basmati white rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Subru Uncle's Whole Green Moong Dal I'll be making ALOT in the U
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.5
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1063.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.4 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 16.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: