Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
My dad and mom quite enjoy this lentil curry. They have it on some steaming hot white Basmati rice(long-grain variety) and a little low-fat plain yogurt on the side. This combo is a filling lunch. Instead of using whole green lentils, you can also try this curry using split green lentils(in that case we call the curry as, believe it or not, "Sai Dal"! LOL;)! I'll be making this ALOT in USA.
Top Review by Halima Dances
I made this with the fresh chili, and lacking fresh tomatoes, subbed a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chilis also. It was tasty and filling when served with hot rice. I did use 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder since I am kind of a wimp, which was plenty spicy for me. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium green chili, washed,ends trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder (Use a little less than 1/2 tsp.)
- 4 sprigs of fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- 1⁄4 cup water (this is added for cooking the tomatoes)
- 2 cups water (to boil whole green moong dal)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (to make gravy for the lentils this is added at the end)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole green lentils, cleaned,washed,soaked in water for 30 minutes and drained (whole green moong dal)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the drained green lentils alongwith 2 cups of water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower flame to medium, cover and allow the lentils to continue to cook until tender.
- This will take about 30 minutes.
- Do not throw out this water in which you have cooked the lentils.
- Now, with the back of a large mixing spoon, mash the lentils.
- Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium flame.
- Once it's hot, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Once they start spluttering, add cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
- Once they start crackling, add curry leaves and stir-fry for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Then, toss in the chopped ginger,garlic,onions and green chilli.
- Mix well and continue to stir-fry until the masala becomes very dry.
- Add turmeric powder, corriander powder and red chilli powder.
- Mix well and continue to stir-fry for another 3 minutes.
- Fold in the chopped tomatoes alongwith 1/4 cup of water.
- This water is to be added to cook the tomatoes.
- Mix well and cook on medium flame until the tomatoes become really soft and mushy.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Add the lentil-water mixture to this pot containing the prepared masala mixture.
- Mix well.
- Stir in 1 1/4 cups of water (so that you obtain the correct consistency of this lentil curry).
- Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with rotis (Indian flatbreads) or bread or cooked long-grain Basmati white rice.