1 hr 45 mins
This is our family favourite and a regular in the weekends at home. Best served with Brown rice pulao (recipe posted separately). I learnt this from our family chef, Subru uncle when I was a teenager. Follow the recipe to the 'T' to have a delicious outcome at the end. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 9 garlic cloves, peeled, washed and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled, washed and finely chopped
- 2 inches piece ginger, peeled, washed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 medium green chilies, washed and slit
- 3 medium tomatoes, washed and finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3/4 th cup channa dal, washed thoroughly, soaked and drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, washed and cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 bunch fresh dill leaves, finely chopped (or soya or shepu leaves)
- 1/2 bunch green sorrel, finely chopped (ambut chukka or khatti bhaji)
- 11. Buy 1 kg of spinach leaves and wash them thoroughly. Separate the leaves from the stalks. Chop the leaves finely to make 7 1/2 cups approximately of chopped spinach leaves.
- 22. Take channa dal in a bowl. Clean it to remove stones, dirt, etc. Wash it thoroughly and then soak it in plenty of water for 20 minutes. Drain before using for preparation.
- 33. Heat oil in a pot/pressure cooker.
- 44. Once it is hot, add cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
- 55. Once the cumin seeds stop crackling, add chopped ginger and garlic. Stir-fry for a few minutes or until the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- 66. Fold in chopped onions and chopped green chillies. Stir-fry until browned.
- 77. Add all the spice powders i.e. turmeric, red chilli and corriander powders.
- 88. Now add the drained channa dal. Mix well and stir-fry for five minutes on medium heat.
- 99. Fold in the cubed potatoes. Mix well and allow them to cook for 5 minutes.
- 1010. Next add the chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cook on medium-high flame until softened.
- 1111. Fold in the chopped spinach leaves, ambut chukka and fresh dill leaves. Mix thoroughly.
- 1212. Add salt to taste and a cup of water. Mix well.
- 1313. Cover and allow to pressure cook for upto 4 whistles. If you are cooking this in a pot, then cover the pot and allow to cook on medium-high flame for about 45 minutes or until this appears to be very mushy.
- 1414. Remove from heat and mash well. A good way to do this is to mash from all sides to the center gradually.
- 1515. Mix in 1/2 cup of water.
- 1616. Remove from flame and serve hot with Brown rice pulao.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Subru Uncle's Sai Bhaji (Spinach the Sindhi Way)
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.2
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 617.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh dill leaves