Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from a wonderful blog named http://www.chowtimes.com run by Suanne and Ben. The blog has many Eastern recipes. I'm posting some of their recipes on this website for nutritional information, but please go visit their blog for more great recipes. Pictures of the preparation of this recipe can be found here: http://chowtimes.com/2006/02/17/chinese-sponge-cake/.
- The baking powder and flour are mixed together.
- They are then sifted and set aside.
- Mix the evaporated milk with the melted butter first. Then add the baking soda to it. Again, set it aside.
- You will need four eggs. Crack it into a mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs.
- Mix in the sugar and the almond extract. Make sure that the sugar is dissolved.
- You then mix in the milk/baking soda/butter mixture to the eggs/sugar. Blend thoroughly using a whisk.
- You gradually mix in the flour mixture and blend.
- Whisk until smooth and completely blended.
- Pour the mixture into a greased cake pan. I use a pie dish about 9-inch.
- Bring the water to boil.
- Place the cake into the pan with boiling water.
- Cover and steam for 25-30 minutes. Use a toothpick to check when the cake is done.
- toothpick to check when the cake is done.
- Remove the cake from the pan and slice. Best served when warm. Enjoy!