Recipe by Kate S.
This simple vegetable dish is available in restaurants and homes across China. In spice-loving regions of China, several dried red chili pods are added with the garlic.
- 500 g spinach
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon msg (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash spinach and chop into 5-cm segments.
- In wok, bring some water to a boil. Add spinach, blanch briefly, remove, and drain.
- Empty water from wok, heat to dry, add oil and swirl to heat well. Add garlic and toss just a moment until fragrant but not burned. Add spinach, salt, and MSG, tossing after each addition.
- Turn off heat, drizzle with sesame oil, transfer to platter, and serve as part of a Chinese meal. (For a Chinese meal, serve rice, a soup, and one dish per person, selecting a balanced variety of dishes.).