Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From turkishcookbook.com. Note: a word or two about grape molasses: Grape molasses, or uzum pekmezi (it goes by several names) is concentrated grape juice from the Mediterranean/Middle East. You can read more about it here: slowfoodbeirut.org/index_inv.php?c=inv18
- 1 bunch watercress, stems cut off, washed and drained (I used both) or 1 bunch arugula, washed and drained (I used both)
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 10 bocconcini, balls or 10 slices feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon grape molasses (read Intro)
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar (read *Note)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- lemon slice
- *Note: The original recipe did not specify a particular type of vinegar. Also, if you wish, the bell pepper can be grilled instead of broiled.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small glass bowl.
- Heat oven to BROIL.
- Remove the stem from the bell pepper and cut it in half, discarding seeds.
- Place the red pepper face down on a baking tray and place in the oven.
- Roast for about 15 minutes. After roasting the bell pepper, place it in a paper bag, close the bag up and set aside for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove bell pepper from the bag; peel and devein. Cut into thin slices.
- Arrange the watercress on a platter. Place the cheese and roasted red bell pepper slices on top.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Garnish salad with lemon slices and sesame seeds.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Yield is estimated.
I made this with arugula because it looked fab & the watercress looked EH. I have never in my life had baby arugula with such a kick. But anyway....this was way popular with the family. We scarfed down ALL of it (used one of those clamshell bins of arugula)! LOVE the dressing. I did cheat & used drained, dried, jarred roasted red peppers. Please don't laugh too hard when I tell you when I tasted the grape syrup & was surprised that it tasted like raisins. ;) Made for NA/ME Tag.