Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Chun Yu is the Braised fresh mushrooms.. From Florence Lin's Chinese cookbook. NOTE the amount of tofu is NOT done by weight but by dimensions.
- 6 slices fresh firm tofu, 3 X 3 X 3/4 inches
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cooked carrot, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup water
Braised Fresh Mushrooms
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 1 teaspoon salt
- NOTE use 1 cup of the mushrooms in recipe.
- Braised Fresh Mushrooms Yield 1 1/2 cups:.
- Run water over mushrooms quickly. Cut off and discard brown part of end of stem. Slice lengthwise thru the stem into the cap. Keep each slice shape of mushroom. There should be six cups.
- Heat wok until very hot. Add oil and stir fry mushrooms over med heat for 10 minutes. Add soy or salt. Stir 5 more minutes or until liquid evaporates. Let cool.
- STORE: Keep submerged in oil in covered container. This will keep up to 2 weeks.
- This can be used in any stir fry. During the last minutes add 1/4 to 1/2 cup to add flavor.
- Lion's Head:.
- Press and drain the tofu. Set in bowl and mash well. Add remaining ingredients including the Braised Fresh Mushrooms except the oil and broth. Mix well and form 8 balls. Set aside.
- Heat oil in wok until hot and deep fry 4 lion's heads at a time until browned on all sides. Transfer to casserole. Strain oil and save for another time. Add broth or water to casserole. Cover and bring to boil then simmer 1 hour. Dish should be piping hot and can be reheated in oven or on stove.
- You may line casserole or serve with items such as stir fried celery cabbage. Adjust the seasonings.