Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A childhood favorite of Carsten Schmidtke, from northern Germany.
- 2 lbs sturgeon fillets, gutted and scaled (catfish can be substituted, be careful of small bones)
- 8 cups vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ounce currants
- 1 1⁄2 ounces raisins
- 1 ounce almonds, chopped
- 3 cups white wine
- lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- Cut sturgeon into chunks and boil until done in mixture of vinegar and water.
- Remove fish from broth and keep warm in a steamer.
- Prepare a roux with butter and flour.
- Add currants, raisins, almonds, a pinch of nutmeg, and wine.
- Mix well and bring to a slow boil while stirring constantly for 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice to taste, egg yolks, and a dash of sugar.
- Pour gravy over the sturgeon.