Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
My mom has been making stuffed cabbage for years, & this is by far one of the best recipes ever.
- 12 large cabbage leaves
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup instant rice, cooked (1 cup cooked)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Wesson Oil
For the sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Boil cabbage until tender.
- Combine beef, egg, COOKED instant rice, salt, pepper, & onion. Roll mixture into cabbage leaves.
- Secure cabbage together with toothpicks.
- Brown cabbage with meat mixture inside, browning leaves on all sides in Wesson oil.
- After browning, put cabbage rolls in sperate saucepan.
- Mix sauce ingredients & pour over rolls.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
I don't understand how the previous reviewer found the meat filling too sweet - the recipe clearly calls for using the brown sugar for the sauce - NOT the meat filling.. Galumpki's are meant to have a 'bland' filling, so as to be enhanced by the delicious sweet tomato sauce.. Anyhow, this is pretty similar to the recipe I've been using for at least 20 years.. Although I grew up in a Polish household, and love my mother's galumki(sp), I once tried a recipe from a 50's cookbook and prefer that, which is 'this', lol.. the only difference is that I have started added strips of green pepper to the sauce, I love the flavor it gives..
This recipe didn't work so well for me. I didn't like the sweetness of the meat filling. I think if I made it again I would leave out the brown sugar or maybe cut it down to 1 T. Made for Spring PAC 2008