Recipe by Chef*Lee
Don't throw away the bottoms of your fresh broccoli, they are very tasty and tender thrown in a soup! I made this soup up so poor broccoli stumps across the world don't get wasted. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 broccoli, bottoms sliced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley (I like Quaker brand)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add garlic and jalapeno and saute for 1 minute.
- Pour in water and chicken broth and bring to a boil then add broccoli bottoms and carrots.
- Bring back up to a boil then add Lawry's, pepper, crushed red pepper, lemon juice, ginger, and barley.
- Boil for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.