Recipe by Gail2293
I love this recipe because it it easy & you don't need to stuff it in the bird. I have a few folks in my family who think stuffing the bird is gross. This makes them happy. It is a very modified version of Rachel Ray's recipe.
- 12 pieces bread, any assortment (ex. Rye, 12 grain, marble)
- 1⁄2 cup softend butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 4 stalks celery, with green leafy tops
- 2 medium onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond (any nut you enjoy will work)
- 2 tablespoons fresh curly-leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- In toaster, toast all of the bread and immediately spread generous amounts of butter on toast.
- Use entire stick of butter to do this.
- Set toast aside.
- Finely chop garlic, onion, celery, and mushrooms.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Add chopped vegetables, cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking.
- Chop parsley and almonds.
- When vegetables are tender add, parsley, almonds, and poultry seasoning.
- Stir well and cook one more minute.
- Cut toasted bread into cubes.
- Add bread and chicken stock.
- Stir until bread is softened, about one minute.
- Remove from heat and transfer to serving dish.
- Let sit covered 5 minutes.
- **Please note that I occasionally add chopped cooked apples&/or browned breakfast sausage to this stuffing when adding the bread.