Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love this recipe because it it easy & you don't need to stuff it in the bird. I have a few folks in my family who think stuffing the bird is gross. This makes them happy. It is a very modified version of Rachel Ray's recipe.
- 12 pieces bread, any assortment (ex. Rye, 12 grain, marble)
- 1⁄2 cup softend butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 4 stalks celery, with green leafy tops
- 2 medium onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond (any nut you enjoy will work)
- 2 tablespoons fresh curly-leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- In toaster, toast all of the bread and immediately spread generous amounts of butter on toast.
- Use entire stick of butter to do this.
- Set toast aside.
- Finely chop garlic, onion, celery, and mushrooms.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Add chopped vegetables, cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking.
- Chop parsley and almonds.
- When vegetables are tender add, parsley, almonds, and poultry seasoning.
- Stir well and cook one more minute.
- Cut toasted bread into cubes.
- Add bread and chicken stock.
- Stir until bread is softened, about one minute.
- Remove from heat and transfer to serving dish.
- Let sit covered 5 minutes.
- **Please note that I occasionally add chopped cooked apples&/or browned breakfast sausage to this stuffing when adding the bread.
Great mushroom and celery "stuffing". Increased the seasoning a bit, nice side dish.
While I liked the flavors in this dish, I think the proportions were a bit off. There was a lot more celery and onion than I felt was necessary, which made the stuffing very loose. I doubled the amount of poultry seasoning, and added a good bit of salt and pepper. I liked the addition of the mushroom, I'll definitely do that again. I think I would also like this better if I had added some sausage as you mention in your note- this would really add to the flavor. This has good potential, but I think it's not quite there yet.
I think the flavour of this dish was awesome! A traditional stuffing packed with alot of flavour. Super easy to make. My complaint is that I didn't like the consistancy of it. Even my husband kind've played with it and wasn't too eager to try it - it just didn't look very appealing. The texture was different than one cooked in a bird. So for that reason I give it a 3 star rating.