Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great for Turkey or Game Birds! Walnuts are an wonderful option!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 10 cups mixed dried breadcrumbs
- 1 lb bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 large granny smith apples, diced medium
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Place Bread Cubes in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large heavy skillet cook the bacon over medium high heat until crisp and done. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon.
- Remove all but 3 T's of the bacon grease.
- core and cut the apples, slice up celery. add apples and celery to pan brown about 6-8 minutes.
- Add to the bread crumbs in the bowl along with the parsley, thyme, sage, salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine well.
- Add nuts if using-toss again.
- Add the beaten eggs and toss again.
- Slowly add the stock, tossing as you go along.
- At this point you can stuff your bird or place in a well greased casserole dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.