1 hr 5 mins
Bread Stuffing with Bacon, Apples, Sage, and Caramelized Onions.For the best flavor, make sure to cook the onions until they are a deep golden-brown color.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch strips
- 6 medium onions, sliced thin (about 7 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled,cored,and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, cut into thin strips
- 12 cups dried french bread cubes or 12 cups other white bread cubes
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1Cook bacon in large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp and browned, about 12 minutes.
- 2Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- 3Discard all but 3 tablespoons of rendered bacon fat.
- 4Increase heat to medium-high and add onions and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- 5Cook onions until golden in color, making sure to stir occasionally and scrape sides and bottom of pan, about 20 minutes.
- 6Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring more often to prevent burning, until onions are deep golden brown, another 5 minutes.
- 7Add apples and continue to cook another 5 minutes.
- 8Transfer contents of pan to large bowl.
- 9Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, parsley, and sage to bowl and mix to combine.
- 10Add bread cubes and bacon.
- 11Whisk stock and eggs together in small bowl.
- 12Pour mixture over bread cubes.
- 13Gently toss to evenly distribute ingredients.
- 14bake at 325 for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Heirloom/Historical Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Heirloom/Historical Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffing With Bacon and Apples
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.1
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 72.8 mg
- Sodium 558.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves
dried french bread cubes