Recipe by icetea
Bread Stuffing with Bacon, Apples, Sage, and Caramelized Onions.For the best flavor, make sure to cook the onions until they are a deep golden-brown color.
- 1 lb bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch strips
- 6 medium onions, sliced thin (about 7 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled,cored,and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, cut into thin strips
- 12 cups dried french bread cubes or 12 cups other white bread cubes
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp and browned, about 12 minutes.
- Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Discard all but 3 tablespoons of rendered bacon fat.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add onions and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook onions until golden in color, making sure to stir occasionally and scrape sides and bottom of pan, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring more often to prevent burning, until onions are deep golden brown, another 5 minutes.
- Add apples and continue to cook another 5 minutes.
- Transfer contents of pan to large bowl.
- Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, parsley, and sage to bowl and mix to combine.
- Add bread cubes and bacon.
- Whisk stock and eggs together in small bowl.
- Pour mixture over bread cubes.
- Gently toss to evenly distribute ingredients.
- bake at 325 for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.