Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I came up with this creation the other night when at a loss for anything else and searching for a way to use the leftover stuffing from Thanksgiving! I was shocked with the results. Was very yummy. Very flexible recipe. Use the vegetables as you like, in the amounts you like.
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 -3 cups seasoned stuffing mix (depending on how much bread portion you want)
- mozzarella cheese (use as much or as little as you like)
- 0.5 (16 ounce) can pasta sauce with meat (for pasta)
- 1⁄2 eggplant, sliced into chunks
- 1⁄4 onion, sliced into chunks
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced into chunks
- fresh mushrooms (I prefer Shiitake)
- salt (to taste)
- Over medium heat, sauté the vegetables until quite tender.
- Add salt if desired to flavor.
- Add stuffing mix, along with butter and water (the more stuffing you use, the more water you will need), a little at a time until the stuffing is soft.
- Mix thoroughly.
- In a baking pan, spoon half of the mixture in and top with half of meat sauce, and desired amount of cheese.
- Spoon remaining vegetable mixture over that and layer once again with remaining meat sauce.
- For crispiness, dry stuffing can also be tossed into the layers.
- On top, put another layer of cheese.
- Bake in oven at 350°F for ten minutes or until cheese melts and bubbles, slightly browned.