Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Very easy do ahead recipe. They are nicely browned, crispy and very tasty. You could adapt this to use Portabello Mushrooms (approx 6). Looks great on a festive buffet, as a brunch side dish or serve as an appetizer This was originally a Kraft Kitchen recipe
- 16 large stuffing white mushrooms, stems removed and stems chopped
- 1 (120 g) box chicken flavor stuffing mix (or your choice)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 tablespoons green peppers, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons red peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Mix the stuffing mix with the hot water, cover and stand 5 minutes.
- Saute the mushroom caps, open side up in 1 tbsp butter or margarine for 2 minutes, flip and saute a further 2 minutes.
- The mushrooms should be lightly browned but still firm.
- Remove caps and place them in a shallow baking dish.
- Add the chopped stems and peppers to the fry pan, saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in the stuffing mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the caps, drizzle with 2 tbsp butter/margarine.
- *You may make them up to this point cover and place in fridge for up to 3 hours, bring to room temp before finishing.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil 5-7 inches from heat for approx 5 minutes or until golden and heated through.