Recipe by Bergy
Very easy do ahead recipe. They are nicely browned, crispy and very tasty. You could adapt this to use Portabello Mushrooms (approx 6). Looks great on a festive buffet, as a brunch side dish or serve as an appetizer This was originally a Kraft Kitchen recipe
- 16 large stuffing white mushrooms, stems removed and stems chopped
- 1 (120 g) box chicken flavor stuffing mix (or your choice)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 tablespoons green peppers, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons red peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the stuffing mix with the hot water, cover and stand 5 minutes.
- Saute the mushroom caps, open side up in 1 tbsp butter or margarine for 2 minutes, flip and saute a further 2 minutes.
- The mushrooms should be lightly browned but still firm.
- Remove caps and place them in a shallow baking dish.
- Add the chopped stems and peppers to the fry pan, saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in the stuffing mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the caps, drizzle with 2 tbsp butter/margarine.
- *You may make them up to this point cover and place in fridge for up to 3 hours, bring to room temp before finishing.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil 5-7 inches from heat for approx 5 minutes or until golden and heated through.