Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe comes from my old stand-by More Make-A-Mix Cookery and is being posted in response to a request in Request a Recipe. This stuffing can be used in place of those expensive boxed or prepackaged mixes.
Top Review by SweetsLady + 3
I usually just make breadcrumbs with all of my saved bread heels, but happened to have a freezer bag full when I found this recipe. They worked great, though I did find that with all the extra crusts that I needed to increase the liquid quite a bit. A tad too much sage for my taste: ? tsp would be plenty.
- 1 teaspoon ground sage or 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried celery flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 4 cups bread cubes, partially dried
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, butter and seasoning mix.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium and simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in bread cubes and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring and fluffing with a fork.
- Cover; remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- For variety:.
- Whole-Wheat Stuffing: Half whole wheat bread cubes and half white.
- Cornbread Stuffing: Use 3 cups cornbread for bread cubes.
- Nut Stuffing: Add 1/4 cup walnuts or diced water chestnuts.