Prep1 hr 30 mins
These started to find the perfect bread item to make leftover turkey sandwiches on. Tried as bread and never reliable, rise to high or not enough. After much trial and error these have been pretty fool proof. Son in law loves and says its not Thanksgiving till the leftover sandwich is eaten. Feel free to change up the spices to your taste preferences. I use fresh ground hard red wheat in this recipe so whole wheat flour would replace that. I use a bread machine to mix up and rise the dough. I made for use with packaged yeast for ease for begining bakers like my daughter
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup wheat flour, hard red fresh ground is preferred
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, natural sea salt preferred
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- fresh ground white pepper (optional)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- Add ingredients in order for your bread machine, liquids to dry with yeast last. Use dough cycle.
- When risen punch down and place on floured board.
- Pinch off pieces to your size perference, small rolls to generous sandwich size based on risen size.
- Place on greased pan or non stick; about 2 inches apart.
- Cover with clean towel and let rise about 30-45 minutes; or doubled in size.
- I brush with a little melted butter or coconut oil right before baking.
- Preheat 375.
- Bake 12-20 minutes depending on size till golden brown.