Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
I invited one of my friends to Thanksgiving dinner, and although it's not a big deal to her, I want to do my best to adhere to her dietary needs. I will NOT use the liver dressing when my Jewish friends come to dinner!*
Top Review by ninja
Great Stuffing for Everyone! First off, I have to say that I don't like liver by itself - the texture throws me off. But I used to have a recipe for stuffed pork chops that included diced, sauteed chicken livers and it was so delicious. The liver adds such great flavorand you don't know it's there! This recipe sounds the same. I will probably dice the liver before sauteing, but that's just me. Try this by all means!!
- 1⁄2 ounce turkey fat
- 4 onions (medium diced)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 8 slices white bread (making sure that there is no milk or butter)
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 turkey liver (*)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water (more or less)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread slices of bread on tray and put in 200 degree oven until no longer soft, but do not let them get hard.
- Cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes and put into large bowl.
- Saute onions, and celery in turkey fat over medium heat until translucent.
- Add herbs, salt, and pepper to bread and toss.
- Saute liver (in separate pan) lightly, until slightly firm.*.
- Add onions and celery to bowl and toss again.
- Sprinkle in water until moist, but not wet.
- Set aside 1 cup of dressing.
- Cut liver into small bits and add to the 1 cup of dressing.*.
- Use the main dressing for the main cavity of the bird, put what does not fit into a casserole to cook for all the dressing lovers.
- Put the liver dressing into the neck cavity of the bird, and fold skin under securing with a skewer. In our house we call this "The Neck Dressing", and we all know what that means -- we are all as passionate about that as we are about the rutabagas, some love it, some hate it.* I do not use the liver dressing when my Jewish friends come to dinner!