Recipe by Annacia
The flavor of these sage-scented yeast buns will remind you of mildly herbed turkey stuffing. They manage to be simultaneously hearty, and soft. The heartiness comes from the Harvest Grains Blend, our proprietary mix of seeds and grains; the softness, from milk, potato, and oil. Serve these as a dinner roll; a sandwich roll (they make great turkey sandwiches); or cut them up to use as the base for your stuffing.
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour, organic preferred
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup potato flour or 1⁄2 cup dry potato flakes
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the ingredients, and mix and knead them—by hand, mixer, or bread machine—till cohesive and fairly smooth (considering the seeds).
- Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 60 to 90 minutes, till it’s noticeably puffy.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, and divide it into 16 pieces.
- Round each piece into a smooth ball.
- Place the shaped buns about 1" apart in a 9" x 13" pan, two 9" round pans, 11" x 11" pan, or equivalent.
- Cover the pan, and let the rolls rise for 1 hour, or until they’re touching one another and starting to fill the pan.
- Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the rolls for 30 to 35 minutes, until they’re golden brown on top.
- Remove them from the oven, and brush with melted butter, if desired; this will keep their crust soft.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- Yield: 16 buns.