Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I like this one because it is easy and very tasty. It was my Grandmother's recipe, and has been in the family ever since.
- 1 (2 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced (optional)
- 8 cups bread, cubes
- Saute celery and onion (if using) in butter.
- Bring soup mix and water to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in poultry seasoning, butter, celery and onion.
- Add this mixture to the bread cubes; toss together.
- Let stand in a warm place, covered.
- Stir occasionally.
- Stuff the bird when you are ready.
- Stuffing can also be put in a slow cooker if you are not going to stuff the bird.Grease crockpot; add stuffing; set on low for 3-4 hours.
Delicious and easy - made this for Thanksgiving this year. I just came back to get recipe for Christmas Dinner and realized I didn't rate it :( Big thumbs up - I'm not a big sage fan so this recipe is perfect. I put in in a greased casserole dish and baked for 45 min @ 350. Turned out great. Thanks for sharing
I tried this recipe this Thanskgiving and it is absolutely delicious. It is just like the stuffing my mother always made. I don't remember if she used the soup mix or not, and she is no longer here for me to get the recipe, but it does taste just like her's, which is what i was looking for. After I married and started doing my own holiday meals, I sought something fancier, more complicated that what she made. Did the cornbread and nuts, did oysters (eww), fancy breads, etc. I've come full circle and just wanted bread and onions and celery. And Mom. Thank you for the recipe!
This was really great. The reason I gave it four stars out of five is that we don't like onion soup mix, so we substituted for Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb seasoning (2 tbsp). Also, I chopped up the bread when it was moist, threw the seasonings on it, and let it sit for 3 days- shaking it around occasionally, and then baked the bread until is was dry, but not toasted before mixing the ingredients and then baking for 45 mins. I doubled everything except the bread and also added finely chopped pecans which I baked in the oven for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. (The pecans seriously sent the dish from good to fantastic!)