Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This came from my sister-in-law from Quebec. It's a home made Sloppy Joe recipe. Tasty, easy and a kid pleaser.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped small
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (pieces and stems or chopped) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup green hot dog relish
- 2 slices cheese (the Kraft wrapped cheese slice kind)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 (6 count) package hot dog buns
- In a saucepan, brown and saute together the ground beef, onion, green pepper, and mushrooms (if using).
- Cook until crumbly and well done.
- Drain off the fat.
- Add the ketchup, green relish, cheese slices and mustard.
- Stir well until the cheese slices melt and it is well mixed.
- Heat for a minute or two more.
- Stuff the mixture into hot dog buns.
- These can be reheated by wrapping in foil and placing in a warm oven.
You Know,I am always a one sandwich person when we have sandwiches,but this time I broke the rule.My goodnes but this was sooooo good,I just had to have 2 this time. and what a good idea to use hot dog buns instead of hamburger buns,it was a lot easier to eat and didn't fall out everywhere like it does in hamburger buns. Thank you for this delicious recipe.Darlene
What an awesome recipe for a different sloppy joe! DH can make great sloppy joe's and was somewhat skeptical, but he declared it the "best he's ever had". I followed the recipe exactly, but subbed red pepper for the green as that was what was on hand, and DH added some chili spice to his. We all loved it! Thanks for sharing!