Recipe by Chipfo
This recipe is an Italian side dish, we love it, I usually have one or two right out of the oven before dinner is even served. I want to try this with yellow squash as well.
Top Review by Outta Here
Really a treat! I also liked the hint of nutmeg. I skipped the boiling step, since my zukes were small and easy to scoop out. We also prefer them a little firmer. I liked the addition of the white sauce to bind things together. Had never had them that way. Also liked the addition of ham instead of the usual sausage. Made for Spring 2008 PAC.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs zucchini (12 small or 6 large)
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs (approx)
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut ends off zucchini and trim to same length, wash and drain.
- Boil in lightly salted water for 10 minutes or until half cooked, drain and cool (you may dip in ice water to help cool).
- Slice in half lengthwise and scoop pulp into a colander to drain a little.
- Leave about 1/4 inch thick walls in the zucchini, make them like a boat.
- In a bowl mix pulp, ham, parsley, basil, breadcrumbs, eggs and all of the parmesan except 2 tablespoons.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, stir well (I only use about 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, but use to your taste, or leave out).
- In a saucepan melt 1/4 C of the butter, stir in the flour, gradually stir in milk and stir over low heat until it has thickened and is bubbly.
- Gradually stir sauce into zucchini mixture, add more bread crumbs if mixture is not thick enough to spoon.
- Useing a spoon fill zucchini shells with the mixture and arrange themm side by side in a shallow buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and bake at 350 for 1/2 hour, serve hot.
- For an added touch mix 2 or 3 tablespoons of finely grated mozzarella cheese with the 2 tablespoons of parmesan then sprinkle on top.