This recipe is an Italian side dish, we love it, I usually have one or two right out of the oven before dinner is even served. I want to try this with yellow squash as well.
- Cut ends off zucchini and trim to same length, wash and drain.
- Boil in lightly salted water for 10 minutes or until half cooked, drain and cool (you may dip in ice water to help cool).
- Slice in half lengthwise and scoop pulp into a colander to drain a little.
- Leave about 1/4 inch thick walls in the zucchini, make them like a boat.
- In a bowl mix pulp, ham, parsley, basil, breadcrumbs, eggs and all of the parmesan except 2 tablespoons.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, stir well (I only use about 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, but use to your taste, or leave out).
- In a saucepan melt 1/4 C of the butter, stir in the flour, gradually stir in milk and stir over low heat until it has thickened and is bubbly.
- Gradually stir sauce into zucchini mixture, add more bread crumbs if mixture is not thick enough to spoon.
- Useing a spoon fill zucchini shells with the mixture and arrange themm side by side in a shallow buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and bake at 350 for 1/2 hour, serve hot.
- For an added touch mix 2 or 3 tablespoons of finely grated mozzarella cheese with the 2 tablespoons of parmesan then sprinkle on top.