Recipe by Lavender Lynn
This recipe is from Uruguay. It is from wikia.com. It is posted for ZWT4.
Top Review by birchhillfarms
My husband is from Uruguay. We actually grow "Zapallitos" from Uruguay every summer using seeds from there. These Original Squash look similar to a winter butternut, but are a summer variety, similar in taste to our Zucchini's. <br/>The recipe is great as it is, although any stuffing recipe works well with squash and I often joke, I never make the same recipe twice, alway's adding or subtracting ingredients depending on what I have on hand at any given time.<br/>I usually, sauté onions, peppers and garlic, then add it to the browned beef and breadcrumb mixture. <br/>In Uruguay, we usually cut the squash in half, then blanch in boiling water for 3-5 minutes then in cold water, to scoop out the seeds easier. We then drain them a bit, and also add some of the small seeds and pulp in with the stuffing mixture.<br/> My husbands personal topping is a white sauce, that has been flavored with grated parmesan cheese and nutmeg. Then baked in the oven for about 30 minutes. I have posted a foto of my recipe using Uruguayan Zappallitos.
- 2 -3 medium zucchini (courgettes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, preferably fresh
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, preferable fresh
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the zucchini in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes, until soft but not mushy.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion until a golden brown.
- Combine the 3/4 C bread crumbs, milk, egg, cooked onion, salt, and pepper in a bowl, stirring to combine.
- Slice the zucchini in two lengthwise and scoop out the pulp.
- Chop the pulp coarsely and stir into the bread crumb mixture.
- Fill the zucchini shells with the mixture.
- For the topping, combine the 1/4 C bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the zucchini.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven until the topping is golden brown, about 25 minutes.