Recipe by Barb G.
An exotic way to use those large Zucchini from the garden. The yogurt sauce is a delicious, garlicky treat. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and a vegetable side dish.
Top Review by kestrel
I was a bit disappointed in this recipe after the two great reviews it received. The part I felt needed improvement was the filling. It reminded me of filling for cabbage rolls, only it didn't have much taste. The filling was rather bland and needed extra spices or something. The part I did like, was the yogurt sauce topping. The yogurt gave the recipe the one zip of flavor. This wasn't a bad dish, it just wasn't flavorful enough for me. So I rated it OK.
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef, uncooked
- 3⁄4 cup short-grain rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Place cut side up in one or two large casseroles dishes (depending one the size of the squash.) Spray a large skillet with oil cooking spray, gently cook onion until transparent.
- Combine cooked onions with ground beef, rice, parsley, allspice, salt and prpper, and mix throughly.
- Fill each zucchini boat with the meat mixture, mounding it up and packing it in.
- Pour 1 cup (240ml) water on the bottom of each pan, around the squashes.
- cover pans tightly with aluminum foil, bake 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare yogurt sauce: In a heavy saucepan, combine yogurt, egg white, cornstarch, and salt.
- Stir mixture over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- continue to stir and cook for 5 minutes; it will thicken slightly as it cooks.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- When Zucchini has cooked for 45 minutes, remove from oven, uncover, and pour yogurt sauce over Zucchini.
- Return to oven, uncovered and cook for 10 minutes more.