Recipe by riffraff
This is from Everyday Food. I made it and we just loved it. It's simple, made with ingredients I usually have on hand and delicious. Great way to use up the bounty of zucchini everyone seems to have in the summer.
Top Review by Teena V
I fixed this the other night and my husband Rick & I really liked it. The only thing I added was chopped summer squash because there didn"t seem to be enough from the zucchini itself. I think that added to the flavor. I can see adding other veggies to this to change it and use up what you have on hand. We did fix it on the gas grill along with my version of beer can chicken. Thanks for a great idea.
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped or 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the centers of the zucchini to form boats leaving 1/4 inch shell.
- Roughly chop the center and set aside.
- Arrange zucchini boats on a foil lined baking sheet, cut side down.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- While the boats are cooking heat oil in a medium skillet over moderate heat.
- Add onion and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper, cook, stirring until soft.
- Add chopped zucchini and cook.
- Stir it around until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Stir in tomato and feta.
- Turn over zucchini boats and fill with the veggie/feta mixture.
- Bake until top is brown, about 20 minutes.
- You will have to remove with a large spatula.