My Sister gave me a home grown Chi qua Otherwise known as: Hairy melon, fuzzy gourd, Chinese preserving melon, wax gourd, moa qua (hairy gourd). And I wanted something Asian so I created this stuffed with vermicelli noodle, seasonings, and minced pork. You can use ground. Here is a sight with information on it. http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=80690I also stuffed a zucchini with the same filling.
- 2 large zucchini (4 medium or 8 small) or 2 large hairy melon (4 medium or 8 small)
- 2 ounces vermicelli, mung bean thread
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb pork, cubed and semi frozen
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chopped gingerroot
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Lightly rub olive oil on zucchini set on a cookie sheet pan or a large casserole dish with a cover. Soak noodles in hot water off heat for 5 minutes, drain, and rough chop. Heat oil and saute the onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor pulse pork to mince. Add remaining seasonings. And pulse to mince and blend.
- Toss in the noodles, onions and mushroom into the minced mixture.
- Fill zucchini and or hairy melon.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes.