Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
Refreshing low cal, full of flavour, attractive veggie, makes a great appetizer.
- 6 zucchini
- 1 walla walla onions or 1 Spanish onion, very finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 4 -6 tablespoons well seasoned French dressing
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 tablespoon drained and rinsed capers
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- parsley sprig (to garnish)
- Trim the zucchini, but do not peel them.
- Bring a large, shallow pan of lightly salted water to a boil, add the zucchini and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes, until they are lightly cooked.
- Drain well.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Carefully scoop out the flesh, leaving the succhini shells intact, and chop the flesh into small cubes.
- Place in a bowl and cover with half the chopped onion.
- Sprinkle with the chopped garlic.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the dressing on top, cover and marinate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Wrap the zucchini shells tightly in plastic wrap and chill them until they are required.
- Cut the bell pepper in half and remove the core and seeds.
- Dice the flesh.
- Chop the tomatoes and capers finely.
- Stir the bell peppers, tomatoes and capers into the zucchini mixture with the remaining onion and chopped herbs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in enough of the remaining dressing to moisten the mixture and toss well.
- Spoon the filling into the zucchini shells, arrange on a platter and serve garnished with parsley.
- If desired, cut in pieces and serve as an appetizer.