Recipe by Sandyg61
This is a light summer meal that you can also make with yellow or gray squash. I use Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles to save time when I make this You can also stuff the squash in the morning and cover it without the water until the evening. I usually serve it with rice or pasta.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 links Italian turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup marinara sauce
- 1⁄8 small red pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 stalk celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and cut off the stem end.
- Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out the centers of the squash.
- leaving 1/4-inch all the way around and on the bottom - reserve the squash from 3 of the halves and chop it into small pieces.
- Remove the turkey sausage from the casing.
- Add the olive oil to a small saucepan and sauté the turkey sausage until browned, breaking it up into small pieces.
- Add pepper, celery, and chopped squash to the pan and sauté until tender.
- Drain and put into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sausage, spices, breadcrumbs, cheese., and spaghetti sauce to the vegetables and mix well.
- Fill the hollowed out squash halves with the stuffing and place them in a baking dish.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the bottom of the baking dish and cover it with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes.