Recipe by MariaCBarton
A different way to serve zucchini that is healthy and absolutely delicious. Modify the filling however you'd like. Best served with whole wheat spaghetti and a side salad.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce (your favorite kind or homemade)
- 20 ounces ground turkey breast, extra lean
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (ribs and seeds removed)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, panko
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Spread about a cup of the spaghetti sauce into the bottom of the pan to keep the zucchini moist as they bake.
- Cut the ends off of the zucchini and cut each zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scrape the seeds out of each zucchini half to create zucchini boats, reserving the pulp. Place zucchini in pan.
- To make the filling, place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Chop the zucchini pulp and add 1/2 cup to the ground turkey.
- Add chopped pepper and onions, egg white, breadcrumbs, and seasoning. Mix to combine. Your hands are the best tools for this!
- Divide the filling among the zucchini. Depending on the size of your zucchini, you may have extra filling, but it works really well for stuffed peppers as well, so just find something else to stuff!
- Cover the zucchini with some of the remaining spaghetti sauce -- I didn't end up needing the entire jar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with whole wheat spaghetti and a side salad.