Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I have an abundance of zucchini from my garden. This recipe is a great way to use it. The Italian herbs make it incredible.
Top Review by Gail Blue Eyes
Delicious. I had lots of fresh zucchini from my mom's garden and this was a great way to use it. I really liked the meat filling so full of vegetables and seasonings. Topped off with cheese. Yummy good!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 -5 medium zucchini
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients and one can of tomato sauce; mix well.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Halve zucchini lengthwise; scoop out center part of zucchini to about 1/4 inch from edges.
- Fill with meat mixture; place in two 13x9 inch baking dishes.
- Spoon remaining tomato sauce over each.
- Bake uncovered, at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese during last few minutes or baking.