Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Came from a magazine in my doctor's office--and I always have pen and paper with me. This sounded good--and it is excellent!
- 5 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F; spray 15-X-11 baking dish with PAM. Using a melon baller, remove and reserve pulp from zucchini, leaving a 1/4" thick shell. Place zucchini, cut side up, in baking dish. Set aside. Finely chop the zucchini pulp; set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and zucchini pulp. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the zucchini pulp is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Add mushrooms and bell pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add bread crumbs, 1 cup cheese, sour cream, thyme, lemon zest and salt. Stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture amongst the zucchini shells. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.