Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
this is a really easy dish that is always received well when i make it for company. its even pretty good with less or none of the cheese if you want something more healthy.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion, diced
- 5 -8 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- preheat oven to 400.
- slice zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon scrap out the pulp, like a canoe, leaving the skin intact(about 1/4" thick); set aside.
- in a large skillet melt butter, add garlic and onion and sauté.
- add lemon juice and equal parts mushrooms to zucchini pulp to the skillet, sauté.
- cook until the excess moisture evaporates. add the shredded cheese and stir.
- fill the zucchini "canoe" with the mushroom mixture and bake for 20 minutes.
This was very easy to put together and tasted great...I made the following changes/additions simply because of what I had in the frige...added about 1/3 cup cooked brown rice to the filling mixture and a few splashes of veggie stock, used a Mexican blend of cheeses in the filling and on top of the zukes. Next time, I will skip the lemon juice as I didn't care for the tang. But, I didn't measure exactly...I just squeezed the lemon over the pan so I may have added too much. Thanks for a great recipe!
I made this and added some ground meat to it as well. Was quite tasty. Made for ZWT4 the Chic Chefs
Delicious recipe. I like that you can get it ready and then just pop it in the oven 20 minutes before serving. 20 minutes is just the right time - there is still a bit of crunch to the Zucchini. I cut back on the cheese and made only 1 zucchin. Will make this again & again Thanks for posting it