Recipe by franvalle323
This recipe was sent to me last summer when my neighbor had a record harvest and wanted to know what to do with her zucchini. It is easy to prepare and everyone here at dinnersmith.com loved it.
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped purple onion
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
- 2⁄3 cup white rice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped jalapeno
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup black beans
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 drops of your favorite hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut zucchini in half and scoop out the center.
- Fry split side down in a small amount of olive oil for a few minutes until the zucchini starts to brown.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown the meat in a large frying pan.
- Remove extra oil from the pan.
- Add roasted garlic and red onion and cook until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add the spices and red pepper, jalepeno, celery,black beans and scallions.
- Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add rice, allow to cook for a minute.
- Add broth.
- Let the whole thing simmer for 15 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked, fill the zucchini.
- Top with cheese and bake for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.