Recipe by CookingSandefer
This yummy recipe comes from the annual Zucchini Festival in Machias, NY. Like the recipe? Come and visit us for the festival. If you have never scooped out the zucchini, you may want an extra as the skin breaks easily. You can use ground veal, turkey, or beef in place of the Italian Sausage. You can also leave out the mozzarella and meat all together.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, soft
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, cooked
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup ground Italian sausage (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook zucchini in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Let stand until cool.
- Cut in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out pulp.
- Mix pulp with onion, margarine, breadcrumbs, tomato, veal, sausage, salt, and pepper.
- Fill zucchini and place in a greased large casserole pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minute.
- Top with mozzarella and let stand for 10-15 minutes.