Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 6 large yellow squash
- 1⁄2 cup raw rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 lb sirloin steak, cut into small cubes (round steak can be used)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- Melt margarine in frying pan, add rice, salt, pepper, garlic powder and steak that has been cut into small cubes.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Wash squash, cut necks off and set aside. With a teaspoon, scoop the pulp (seeds) from bottom of the squash, making a shell.
- Discard pulp and seeds.
- Fill shells with rice-steak mixture and put 2 toothpicks crisscross across top to hold filling in shells.
- Put shells and tops in Dutch oven.
- Run tomatoes through blender, then pour over squash.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for about 1 hour, or until rice is tender.
seems like a waste to discard the seeds & pulp of the squash...Couldn't the amount of canned tomatoes be reduced by half & the pulp & seeds be blended with them to eqaul 16 oz? Gale S. Ca.
great recipe thanks for posting