Recipe by Geema
I found this recipe in the Northwest Best Places Cookbook. I can't wait to make it for my onion loving husband.
- 4 medium walla walla onions
- 2⁄3 lb turkey sausage, casing removed
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1 slice bacon, but in 4 pieces (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the onions, then cut off a thin slice at the top and the bottom.
- Boil the onions in a pot of hot water for 7 minutes; remove and drain well.
- Let cool and then by either pushing or cutting with a small knife,remove the centers from the onions, leaving a shell of at least 4 layers. Set aside the onion centers.
- Set the onion shells in a buttered baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Fry the sausage in a skillet over medium heat until no pink shows, breaking up the pieces as it cooks.
- Finely chop the reserved onion centers.
- Combine the chopped onion, cooked sausage, bread crumbs, cheese, egg, milk, parsley, sugar and cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Stuff the onions shells with this mixture, topping each with a strip of bacon.
- Bake about 30-40 minutes until stuffing is hot.