Prep 5 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is an updated version of my old recipe using ziplock bag and precooked bacon bits or pieces. The tenderness of the meat is because milk is used.This can be used with beef or buffalo also.
- 8 venison chops, with back bone or 8 venison, boneless steaks 3/4 inches thick
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon mccormick all seasoning
- 6 slices bacon or 1 1⁄2 cups bacon, precooked pieces and bits
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup flour or 1⁄4 cup rice flour
- salt and pepper
- Place milk in a gallon ziplock bag.
- Place All seasoning in the bag.
- Shake until seasoning starts to mix.
- Add the chops or steaks.You may use boneless back strap steaks also, ingredient reader didn't like the words.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain in colander. Reserve the milk marinate.
- Add olive oil if using Hormel cooked bacon pieces and bits.
- Do not use olive oil if using bacon slices.
- In large deep frying pan add the bacon of your choice with or without oil.
- Add the diced green pepper. Sauté until tender crisp and the bacon is browned and slightly crisp.
- With slotted spoon, take out the cooked green peppers and bacon. If whole slices, cut in small pieces.
- Place in a bowl.
- Take a sharp knife and cut a pocket on the entire one side of the chop or steak.
- Stuff each chop or steak with bacon and green pepper.
- Close with one or two toothpicks stabbed at an angle.
- Brown in the olive oil or the bacon drippings. Do not overcook. Flip only once.
- Place on a platter in the oven on warm.
- Add the cold water and whisk in the flour to the oil or bacon drippings, add the reserved milk. Cook on low and whisking or stirring. Add a little more flour if you want the gravy a little thicker. Whisk to get rid of any lumps.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve the gravy over the chops or steaks with hot buttered biscuits.