Recipe by Lennie
This makes a terrific Sunday dinner. Adapted from a Norene Gilletz recipe, one of my favourite Canadian cookbook authors.
Top Review by Sudie
I used a beef brisket, otherwise followed this exactly. If I could bottle the way the house smelled while this was cooking, I'd be a millionaire! And it tasted as great as it smelled. Really delicious, thanks, Lennie!
- 5 -6 lbs veal brisket, have butcher make a pocket in it for stuffing,if necessary
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- bread stuffing mix (your favourite)
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups baby carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325F; spray a large roasting pan with Pam and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine minced garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, paprika and thyme; with your hands, rub this mixture on the inside and outside of your brisket; if roast doesn't have much fat, add 1 tbsp olive oil to garlic mixture before rubbing on roast.
- Using your favourite stuffing, stuff the brisket lightly and fasten with skewers or tie with kitchen string.
- Place in roasting pan and surround with onion, celery and carrots.
- Pour broth and wine over all, and place cover on roasting pan.
- Bake for 3 hours, basting occasionally; remove cover and cook for about 45 minutes longer, or until done to your preference.