1/1 Photo of Stuffed Veal Breast
2 hrs 30 mins
This is for a breast of veal, with bones, and a pocket cut into it for stuffing. It is important whatever you choose to stuff it with is moist so that the breast does not dry out during cooking. The original recipe calls for sweet pork sausages, but I like to use flavored chicken sausages, such as spiced apple or feta and spinach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 garlic clove, sliced in half
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (heaping)
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, freshly grated (heaping)
- 1/2 lb italian sweet sausage, removed from their casings (I use flavored chicken sausages such as spiced apple)
- breast of veal, with a pocket cut into it by the butcher
- 5 slices bacon or 5 slices pancetta
- 1 shallot, sliced thick
- 5 -6 cups veal broth or 5 -6 cups chicken broth
- 1Preheat oven to 275°F; rub the inside of a mixing bowl with the garlic, then chop it and add to the bowl.
- 2Stir in egg, 3 tablespoons wine, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; mix in parsley, bread crumbs, and sausage.
- 3Stuff the pocket of the veal breast, gently pressing it into the corners; truss pocket closed with small skewers.
- 4Lay the bacon or pancetta in the bottom of your braising pan, cover with shallot, and lay the veal on top; cover, and cook on the stove top, on low heat, until the bacon sweats and the shallot softens, about 15 minutes.
- 5Add 1/2 cup of wine and bring to a simmer; let reduce until their is just a film of liquid remaining in the pan.
- 6Add 1/2 cup broth and reduce again; add in remaining broth to just cover 3/4 of the meat.
- 7Cover pan with parchment paper, then the lid, and place in oven until fork tender, about 2 hours.
- 8Remove lid and parchment, then baste meat with pan juices to form a glaze; return to oven for 5 minutes, then repeat.
- 9Remove from oven and let cool in liquid; slice and serve warm with cooking juices (can also be chilled and served cold).
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Veal Breast
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.0
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 46.7 mg
- Sodium 300.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
breasts of veal