Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Boning the trout is not neccessary but makes it easier to eat, especially for elders and children. Be sure to get all those little pin bones.
- 2 (6 ounce) rainbow trout, whole approx. 6 oz each
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, snipped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄8 cup cornstarch
- Scale and remove bones from trout. Remove head and tail also if desired. Scrape some of the flesh off the skin and reserve.
- Cook and stir onions and celery in margarine until soft.
- Remove from heat and add bread crumbs, reserved fish, cilantro, lemon juice, basil and dill, mix well.
- Stuff each trout equal amounts of stuffing.
- Brush fish with milk or egg white and coat with cornstarch.
- Fry in medium-hot pan just until golden, turn and cook just until golden.
- Place on rack in shallow baking pan and bake uncovered at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily.